Photo Credit: @jessyhartel
We all use products on our skin, whether its makeup or a nighttime skincare routine, there are some ingredients that should be avoided at all costs. Before I get into listing, here are some reasons why you should avoid them.
- Some ingredients can mimic estrogen in the body disrupting our delicate hormonal balance. They’ve been linked to breast cancer, and since they act as a hormone disruptor they can lead to reproductive and fertility issues.
- Hormonal distruptors that may cause liver damage
- Damaging DNA and growth of skin tumors
- Asthma, neurotoxicity, and developmental toxicity.
Now that we've cleared the air as to why certain ingredients can cause serious damage, lets get right into which ones you should stay clear of.
- Parabens includes (methylparabens, propylparabens, butylparabens, and ethylparabens)
- Artificial Fragrance/ Parfum
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and/or Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES)
- Retinyl palmitate and Retinol (aka, Vitamin A)
- Polyethylene Glycol (PEG)
These are most ingredients that can be found in cleansers, serums, masks, scrubs, makeup and more. If you really can't find any products without these ingredients you should opt for all natural, vegan, 100% organic products. There are plenty of cosmetic and skincare alternatives you can find made by reliable brands and companies. Your health is important and it starts with your skin.
P.S Google is a great way to find amazing brands:)
What skincare are you currently using?